Ends on 5/31/2016
Applications consist of a completed form, two references, and a sample of 3 - 5 poems.
Ends on 5/31/2016
The Frost Place, a nonprofit center for poetry and the arts at Robert Frost’s old homestead in Franconia, NH, invites submissions to the first annual Gregory Pardlo Scholarship for Emerging African American Poets. This scholarship, which is funded by an anonymous donor, was named to honor Gregory Pardlo, Pulitzer Prize winning poet and faculty at The Frost Place 2015 Poetry Seminar.
The winner will receive a full scholarship to attend the Poetry Seminar at The Frost Place, July 31 – August 5, 2016, including room and board (valued at approximately $1,550), and will give a featured reading at the Seminar.
The 2016 Gregory Pardlo Scholarship for Emerging African American Poets final judge is Vievee Francis.
There is no submissions fee.
The Gregory Pardlo Scholarship for Emerging African American Poets is open to African American poets writing in English who have published up to one book of poetry.
SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT
- All entries must be submitted to our online submissions manager. Entries submitted by e-mail, fax, or US mail are not permitted and will be disqualified.
- Please include your contact information (email, mailing address, phone number, and website if you have one) on the title page of your submission.
- Submissions should have a page count (poems only, not including title page, table of contents, acknowledgements, or other items) of 10 pages.
- Manuscripts should be submitted in rich text (.rtf) or Microsoft Word (.doc & .docx) format only. Manuscripts submitted in another file format are not permitted and will be disqualified.
- Manuscript revisions are not permitted during the competition.
Each manuscript is delivered to two preliminary readers. Our readers look for beautifully crafted work, but it is not necessary that the poems in the submission cohere in a unified way (as in a chapbook manuscript): please try to show the readers your range as a poet in the 10-page submission. The readers look to present a wide range of excellent work to the final judge.
Final notification of the competition winner and competition finalists will be provided by e-mail to all competition entrants in June 2016.